Friday, February 26, 2016

An Intermission, Papers, and Magnetic Fields

This is a brief intermission between the first and second "explanatory" posts of today.

My posts so far have all been about knot theory basics (getting into it, etc), so I realized it would probably be good to talk a bit about what I've been doing.

So far, in the past couple weeks, I've been finishing up on going through various knot invariants, and their properties, some of which I've posted about, and some of which I have yet to post about, in order to familiarize myself with their properties.

I will also be starting to look at a few papers on various invariants mentioned in the book I've been reading.

In additional to my project, by suggestion of my SRP mentor professor, I go to the weekly geometry seminars. They always have interesting topics, that are difficult but interesting to try to understand. Today's was on Microscopic Electromagnetism and Differential Forms. It was a derivation, using vector fields and wedge product to derive Maxwell's Equations (electric/magnetic fields, potentials, sources - all that fun stuff).

My posts will probably be mostly along the lines of explaining knot theory, with once in a while check-ins with the status of my project.

Hope you guys keep reading, and keep up with my posts!

1 comment:

  1. That is fantastic that you are able to attend the weekly geometry seminars! Are there specific textbooks or researchers that you are referring to as you continue to work on your project?

    ReplyDelete